A Good Enough Day

IMG_9299

Upon returning home from an idyllic two-week trip to my favorite place, Chautauqua , I was met by a frantic puppy with sharp little teeth, loads of laundry, work to catch up on, and a world in upheaval. Being the highly sensitive person that I am–a middle-aged goober who can feel overwhelmed in crowds or when witnessing conflict–it all seemed too much. So yesterday I concentrated on the basics: Take a shower, make at least a little progress on an editorial assignment, and keep the two appointments I had scheduled. I’m glad I did, as I’m always made better when I get up and go, even if the movement is slight, like a short walk through my neighborhood. As evening settled over Nashville, I headed for my gratitude journal. This practice of stopping and taking stock both reassures and renews me, and I can get off center fairly easily if I don’t do it. Honoring that which matters is a sacred act.

To wit: Friends who didn’t freak out when I met them for lunch and said, “Good to see you. I may cry while we eat.” Instead, they offered, “Go ahead. We might, too.” The three of us are in that stage of life where we’ve lost—or our losing—our parents; our health is throwing us curve balls; and we’re letting go of some time-bound dreams while still pursuing the ones we care about the most. We are doing the best we can, and we are not giving up even if we have to slow down a bit and order salads instead of cheeseburgers.

In my younger days, I probably thought “good enough” meant I wasn’t living up to my potential, or that I was settling. At this stage of my life, I know it means the freedom and self-assurance to live well, without comparison to others’ accomplishments or accumulations, without wondering “Would my life have been better if…?”

So on this day, I’m thankful for a good therapist, the playfulness of said frantic puppy with the sharp little teeth, a husband who knows how to cook, my writing partner who sat across from me for three hours as we wrote our hearts out, and this amazing sky.

It is good enough and plenty.

Amy Lyles Wilson

P.S. What are you grateful for, at this very minute?

18 thoughts on “A Good Enough Day

1. Mrs. N says:

Hi Amy-I came across your blog while looking for new blogs to follow and I immediately connected with it. Thankfulness is a virtue that I too practice. Keeping a thankful attitude has gotten me through many a difficult situation and keeps me content with a very simple life.

I have a daughter that lives about an hour out of Nashville….when I read “Nashville” in your post here I choked up-funny how unexpected things trigger emotions…

I’m also a “middle-aged” goober….so I get that.

xo-Mrs. N

• hamblett says:

Thank you, Mrs. N. I’m delighted to be meeting you here online, another self-identified middle-aged goober, and I look forward to visiting your blog often. I just stopped by and left a comment. I appreciate your kind words. Some days I find it hard to concentrate on gratitude, but my how I try. Today has found me quite blue, for no tangible reason. But I am comforted to think of others around the world, like you, who are keeping the faith. Looking forward, ALW

2. Alison Hopton Davis says:

Wow!! I have always know what a great writer you are…this piece is fantastic!…and so relatable! Thank you for putting into words life as a middle-aged goober!

3. Stacie says:

I am grateful for YOU, Amy!! Even though we are miles apart, I feel that you are near every time I read your thoughts, so beautifully and perfectly expressed! You always strike a chord familiar to me. ❤️

• hamblett says:

Thank you, precious girl. I appreciate your taking the time to read and comment. My oh my have I been missing my mother lately. Does the happen to you, out of the blue? Love, Me

4. Jennifer Ingram Johnson says:

I appreciate this so much, Amy. Thank you for authentically and freely sharing your journey. Wish I could sit down to salads or writing with you sometime….right at this very moment I’m thankful for people like you who quite obviously (to me, anyway) came into my life for a substantive purpose. While our time together has been limited and we do not see each other often, I felt a kindred connection to you the first time I met you at The Gandy. You continue to inspire me. Love, Jenn

• hamblett says:

Thank you, Jenn. I so appreciate your kind words, and do wish our paths crossed more often. Maybe in Oxford? We haven’t gotten to Jackson in more than a year, but often go to Oxford. I hope all is well in your world. Looking forward, ALW

5. carehder@comcast.net says:

Amen, my friend, Amen. Just the words my whole being wanted to read. Now I can give myself permission to take a nap. Thank you! Hugs, Carol

• hamblett says:

What would I do without you, Carol, my loyal reader? And more than that, my shining example of how to age with grace and wonder. Thank you for all. Love, ALW

6. Sudie Althisar says:

I am grateful for you and your wonderful, grounding presence – which inhabits your words.

• hamblett says:

I so enjoy following you on Instagram, Les, keeping up with all your shows and the like. I’m assuming you’ll be at SFOB, yes? I hope to see you there. Looking forward, ALW

Comments are closed.